If you are trying to update your kitchen or bathroom with some new floor tiles, you will probably need some floor tile adhesive to securely stick your tiles down before grouting.
Here, we have compiled together a list of our top five best floor tile adhesives, to save you from wading through all of the sticky choices.
Firstly, we will lay out the top five in the order that we think is the best fit. Below that we will go deeper into the details of each of the products so that you can get a clear idea of the differences between them, and why we have chosen the order that they are in.
After each description, there will be a list of pros and cons specific to each floor tile adhesive.
Finally, there will be a buyer’s guide for the second half of this piece, so that you can easily make your way through all of the new jargon and criteria that we think a floor tile adhesive should fulfil.
In a hurry?
If your redecoration cannot wait, or you are in a hurry, we have made it easier for you.
Here is a super quick run-down of the floor tile adhesive that we think deserves the top spot. So, at the top is the Everbuild 703 Fix and Grout Tile Adhesive.
Here are the main reasons and features that made us put this product at the top:
- Comes as a premixed formula in a tub ready for use whenever you start tiling your floor.
- It can be used as a grout too, making this a multipurpose product.
- Ease of use makes this the quickest and most practical tile adhesive on the list.
- Since this is in a tub, the product is resealable for later use on other tiling projects.
Best Floor Tile Adhesive – Reviews
At number one on the list is the first of the Everbuild products. The 703 Fix and Grout Tile Adhesive from Everbuild comes in a tub.
This is a premium-level adhesive that is actually designed to be used as both the tile adhesive and as the grout once the tiles are stuck. This makes it ideal as a quick and easy product to buy for the avid DIYer and even any professional contractor.
Using the same product for both the floor tile adhesive and the grout keeps a cohesive feel and a convenient practical job. The Everbuild 703 Fix and Grout are formulated with fungicide which is ideal for preventing mould over time, it means you won’t have to worry about the finish of your adhesive and grout collecting mould as quickly.
Since this product is in a tub, it is already premixed and ready to use straight away when it arrives.
This reduces the set-up and preparation time significantly, and you can adhere to your floor tiles securely assured that the mix will be perfectly measured for you.
- Comes premixed in the tub, so you do not have to prepare anything except your own tools and tiles.
- Multipurpose products can also be used to grout the tiles once you are done sticking them down. This makes your project easier and more cohesive.
- The formula includes fungicide so that you don’t need to worry about your new tiled floor gathering mould anytime soon.
- Very high bond strength to ensure a secure stick.
- Some buyers report that, when used as a grout, this adhesive can crack.
The second product on our list is another from Everbuild. This time it is from their Super Plus 701 range and is called Acrylic Non-Slip Tile Adhesive.
This, like the 703, also comes in a tub, so the product is premixed and ready to be used as soon as you open it up. The main difference is that this formula is made with acrylic for extra non-slip qualities. This allows you to reach an even sturdier hold for your tiles.
This extra slip resistance and grab mean the tiles will set in place strongly and won’t slip in place once the adhesive has set.
This particular adhesive can be used in kitchens and bathrooms, as long as a suitable grout is used for either of those settings. This Acrylic Non-Slip Tile Adhesive is perfect for use with ceramic tiles in both your kitchen and bathroom
- Comes in a tub with a premixed formula that is ready to be used straight away.
- The formula includes acrylic for an extra level of non-slip quality when you are tiling your floor.
- Strong bold hold.
- Due to the nature of the formula, you have to work fast to ensure that the tile is in the correct position so that you don’t have to move it again, as the grab is that strong.
Third on our list is the Nassboards Larsen Rapid Set Flex Tile Adhesive. This is said to be a quick-drying tile adhesive that is perfect for indoor and outdoor, compatible with porcelain, ceramic and natural stone.
This adhesive is formulated to have high bond strength when it comes to tiling your floors. It is a cement-based adhesive that is non-slip, sets quickly, and has a certain level of sealant features included. This cement base means that even tiles made from marble can be securely fitted to your bathroom or kitchen floor.
The dry time is only three hours, you can get onto the next project quickly and even grout your new floor in a speedy timeframe. You mix the product together yourself, so you can follow the directions to get the perfect ratio for your tiling needs.
- Quick drying formula that is cement-based so holds with a strong bond.
- Can be used with a large variety of tile types and materials such as ceramic, natural stone, glass and mosaic, making this perfect for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Does not come premixed, you have to mix it yourself. This could be more time-consuming in the preparation stage.
Fourth on the list is a product from Mapeker. This particular product is called the Rapid Set Flexible Tile Adhesive and comes in a bag of powder that you mix yourself. This is a rapid-setting tile adhesive that is ideal for use with ceramic tiles, natural stone, concrete, and even plasterboard.
Because this is a rapid-setting adhesive, with a drying time of three hours, the wait time for you to be able to grout over your newly set tiles is reduced, making your tiling project even quicker.
The benefit of using this adhesive is that you can even use it on top of plywood-overlaid floors.
The product itself has a twelve-month shelf life, so should you need to do any touch-ups after you have finished tiling, this product should still be usable.
- Only takes three hours to dry and set, meaning you can get on with grouting soon after tiling.
- This floor tile adhesive is extremely versatile and can be used with many different materials and types of tile including ceramic, natural stone and porcelain.
- Does not come premixed, so you will have to mix it yourself, increasing preparation time.
Last on our list of the top five-floor tile adhesives is a product from UniBond. This is their Floor Tile Adhesive and Grout. Similar to the Everbuild at the top of our list, this product also claims to be suitable for use as grout.
Described as an all-in-one product, this UniBond adhesive can be used to stick your tiles down, set them in place and then even be used to grout the same tiles when finished. This product is suitable for bathrooms, kitchens and any other room in your house that you want to be tiled, including conservatories.
This particular colour variation is the beige option, so will give a more natural aesthetic to your tile work.
- Arrives premixed in the tub so you don’t need to worry about wasting time mixing your product.
- Can be used as a multipurpose product for both adhesive and grout, so you will only need to buy one type of product when tiling your floor.
- Some buyers say that since this product is mainly grout, the adhesive properties are not amazing.
Best Floor Tile Adhesive – Buyers Guide
The top five list should help you to decide which are the best floor tile adhesives.
But if that wasn’t enough to make up your mind about which one to buy for your own floor tiling project, we hope that this buyer’s guide will help you tell the differences between the five products we have presented.
Here we have sectioned off some categories that are important to consider when you are buying a floor tile adhesive.
How the Product Arrives
If you are in a hurry to do a job and you need a product that will just be quick and easy, you might be better off with one of the floor tile adhesives on our list that come premixed in a tub. This means too won’t need to mix anything yourself, thus cutting down a significant amount of time where you would usually be trying to get the perfect ratio.
Our top pick for floor tile adhesives is the Everbuild 703, which comes in a tub where the product is premixed and ready to apply.
Each of the different products on our list has some qualities that make them slightly better for certain tiling jobs. The Everbuild 701 Acrylic Non-Slip adhesive is formulated with acrylic that makes the tiles stay in place even better when set.
The Everbuild 703 Adhesive (the top of our list) has fungicide included in the formula, which decreases the chance of mould forming on your newly laid tiles. The Everbuild 703 Adhesive also has antibacterial properties, meaning that the white finish will stay white for longer.
Just like convenience can be found in the way that you receive the products, be they premixed or not, you can also find that some of the qualities make certain products more convenient. Two of the products on this list can be used as both the adhesive and the grout for your floor tiles.
This lessens the time it will take you to actually lay your floor since the same product can be used for the whole process. This is ideal for the DIYer in a rush, and even for the professional who is doing a quick touch-up of a job. Using the same product for both the adhesive and the grout can provide cohesion for the job at hand.
Now that you have seen both our top five list and our buyer’s guide, hopefully, you are more confident in which floor tile adhesive to buy for your next project. With an eclectic mix of premixed versus adhesives that you mix yourself, as well as water-resistant specific adhesives versus adhesives formulated with fungicide, you should be able to get a clearer idea of the perfect fit for you.
The Everbuild 703 Fix and Grout Tile Adhesive made the top of our list because of its multipurpose quality, as well as the addition of fungicide in the formula.
We can recommend this product to you for your floor tiling needs, all you need to do is pop the lid open, get your tools ready, and start tiling!